One of the reasons I launched Moms Learn was to help me improve my skills. So in 2019, I’m focusing on learning how to grow my blog and increase my income from it. That’s why I created my 2019 blogging learning plan.
Key areas I want to grow
I’ve identified several key areas that I want to grow in this year and need to learn how to do well:
- Launching a new blog (done)
- Building an email list
- Promoting my posts on Pinterest
- Growing my traffic
- Monetizing my blog through affiliate links and my product promotions
- Creating new products/courses
Does this look a bit overwhelming to you? Yeah, me too. That’s why I’m planning out which month I’m focusing on which skill and some of the tools/resources I plan on using.
I already have some experience with blogging, content creation, and writing. However, I’m wanting to refine my skills and be more intentional with my learning. Since I work at a marketing agency during the day, some of my learnings will cross over between the two fields.
My blogging learning plan guidelines
My goal is to choose my courses with intention, but also be as frugal as possible. If there’s a course that will save me a lot of time or money or grow my income, I’m willing to invest in it.
I bought the Ultimate Blogging Bundle in 2017 and some of these courses are from that bundle. So any course I mark as “own” came from that bundle and I’m considering it “free.”
I plan on scheduling 2-3 hours a week to go through my material and then spend time that week implementing what I learned. I have notes organized in Scrivener so I can write down key points of what I’m learning.
So here are the topics I plan on learning this year for my blogging learning plan and when I scheduled them out. I reserve the right to change courses as I go :).
I’d love to hear what courses you’re using this year, too!
How to start a blog – Jan & Feb
Skills to learn and/or tasks to complete:
Setting up blog Setting up analytics Building out initial content Creating an opt-in
Since I’m writing my blog post in March, I’ve already done most of the “How to Start a Blog.” The resources I used when starting my blog include:
- Blog By Number by Suzi Whitford (own)
- First Month Blog Plan by Suzi Whitford- free
- The Blog Plan by Suzi Whitford – free
- Opt-In Blueprint by Meera Kothand – (ebook I own) and discontinued
- Start a Blog > Biz by Meera Kothand – (own) and discontinued
- Profitable Blogging for Beginners by Blogelina – (own)
Cost: Free due to material I already owned
Getting started on Pinterest – Mar & April
- Basic graphic design
- How to set up Pinterest profile and boards
- Adding my posts to group boards
- Using rich pins and descriptions
- Using TailWind
Pinterest is one of my main growth strategies for my blog. So I’ve started learning about it and setting up my Pinterest profile.
Resources I plan on using:
- Blog by Number (own) –
- Graphic Design for the Beginner – free mini-course
- Pinterest Power free mini course
- Blogger’s Graphic Design Primer – ($77)
- How to Master Tailwind (own)
- Ready Set Blog for Traffic (own)
- Boost Your Blog Traffic – ($25) includes two free months of tailwind
How to write engaging content – May
In May, I want to focus on writing engaging content to serve you better. I know that writing is a lifelong skill to master. However, I can improve a little bit by being systematic and focusing on a few key ideas. Here’s some skills I want to work on.
- Keyword research
- Editorial calendar
- Call to actions
- Clarity & conciseness
- Connecting with my audience
Resources I plan on using:
- One-Hour Content Plan by Meera Kothand – ebook I own
- Post by Number – $9
- Writing with Confidence: Writing Beginner to Writing Pro – $15
- How to Write Seductive Web Copy – ebook I own
- Blog to Win Business – ebook I own
Estimated Cost: $25
Building an email list – June & July
My email list is another key part of my blog and business I want to build. I set up my email list from day one, but I need to optimize it. I want to focus on:
- Setting up automated email campaigns in MailerLite
- Integrating opt-in with campaign
- Writing emails that connect with my audience and get opened
Resources I’m planning on using
- List By Number – $57
- MailerLite Video Tutorials
- Earn IT! With Email Starter Kit by Summer Tannhauser – (free opt-in)
- Email Lists Made Easy – ebook I own
- Meera Kothand Free Email Course
Estimated cost: $57
Monetizing my blog – Aug
My transcription Udemy courses bring in passive income each month, but I want to venture out more into affiliate marketing. I may dive into some of these courses earlier than July if I have time. I want to learn:
- How to choose affiliate programs
- The best way to organize links
- Choosing the best affiliate links for my audience that
- How to legally disclose and no-follow
Resources I’m considering:
- Affiliate Acceleration – own
- Become an Affiliate Blogger – own
- Core Affiliate Strategy Guide – own
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing?? – $199
Estimated cost: $0-$199
Growing traffic – Sep
I have a basic knowledge of SEO, but in this month I want to focus on continuing to grow my traffic. I also want to try to guest post (if I haven’t already).
- How to increase pageviews
- How to boost my most popular posts
Material I’m considering:
Estimated Cost: $0-$80
Pinterest revisited – Oct
In Sep, I plan on learning more advanced Pinterest techniques. I’m not sure yet if I’ll need to purchase additional Pinterest course(s) to the ones I use.
- Pageviews from Pinterest (own)
- Pinteresting Strategies (own)
- Pinterest Improvement Master Plan ?? – $99
- Other courses??
Course buildout and promotion – Nov – Dec
The last quarter I will focus solely on course creation and promotion. I’ve already created two courses, but there’s a lot I want to change and improve.
Materials I’m considering:
Whew, I made it through that list. My goals are aggressive, but even if I get through half of it, my blog should progress.
At the end of each
I’d love suggestions from you on what courses you recommend or your current learning plan.